What Is Kilted Hop Brewing?
Kilted Hop Brewing is the personal homebrewing identity of Kevin P. Wojdak or, "Woj". Kilted Hop Brewing is just a name and a fun way to present my beer to my friends, family, and guests.
Why Kilted Hop you ask? Well, I like to party in a Kilt and I brew beer as well as grow hops so it all just works.
Kilted Hop Brewing Complete Brew-ography
Kilted Hop Brewing is the latest evolution of brewing for Kevin "Woj" Wojdak.
Woj began brewing with his friend M. Gregory Downer in August 2008 under the High Octane Brewing (HOB) name and they brewed together until March 2012 at which time the team parted ways.
Woj started creating original beer recipes in January 2011. Woj's first original recipe and also his first solo homebrewed beer outside the HOB team, an English Bitter named "For Bitter or For Worse", won a first place ribbon at the 2011 BABBLE Homebrew Competition in Lincolnshire, Illinois. In addition, an Eisbock brewed by Woj and Greg, "Double Diamond Dust", took a 3rd place ribbon in the same competition.
My mission is to produce high quality, great tasting homebrewed beer, ciders, and meads. I brew my own beer for the joy of beer. I drink it, I share it, I teach people about it, and I brew it to compete in homebrewing competitions. I brew for myself, family, and friends. I'm always open to sharing my creations and making new friends along the way.
2016 – 6 wins
- April 2016 - Bronze medal for our "Touch of the Green" Saison with Green Peppercorns in the Chicago regional competition of the 2016 National Homebrew Competition. It will be sent to Baltimore, Maryland to compete in the finals of the 2016 National Homebrew Competition in June.
- April 2016 - Bronze medal for "My Alter Ego" Doppelbock in The 24th Spirit of Free Beer competition in Beltsville, Maryland. Co-brewed with Noah Wojdak.
- March 2016 - Silver medal for the "Better Than The Blend" Belgian Tripel in the What's Brewing Supply homebrew shop competition, Palatine, IL.
- March 2016 - 1st Place Best of Show Mead and Ciders and a Gold medal for the 2014 "Apple Bomb" Cinnamon Cyser in the Specialty Mead category of the 2016 Drunk Monk Challenge, Aurora, IL. Honorable Mention honors for our co-brewed 2014 Sunnyside Barrel Brewers Bourbon Barrel-aged Scotch Ale (Wee Heavy).
2015 – 15 wins
- October 2015 - Bronze medal for 2015 "Green Man Harvest" fresh hop ale in the Fresh Killed Hops category of the 2015 Hoppy Halloween Challenge, Fargo, ND. Co-brewed with Dylan Soss.
- September 2015 - Bronze medal for "Satchmo" Bourbon Barrel-aged Brown Ale and Bronze for 2015 "Steam Punk" California Common in Brixies Brixtoberfest, Brookfield, IL.
- September 2015 - Gold medal for "Bird Lady" Blonde Ale at BABBLE Homebrew Competition, Libertyville, Illinois.
- August 2015 - Missouri Mashers (MOM) Hot Summer Brew-Off Homebrew Competition, Roseville, Missouri. Gold for the "Tank's Cream" Ale and Silver for the 2014 Sunnyside Barrel Brewers Bourbon Barrel-aged Scotch Ale. Barrel project involved 5 guys and a 30-gallon barrel.
- August 2015 - Silver medal for "Bitter Blonde" Bodington's Style Standard English Bitter at Brew Haven Homebrew Competition, Indiana. Co-brewed with Noah Wojdak.
- July 2015 - Silver medal for "Bitter Blonde" Bodington's Style Standard English Bitter at the For What It's Wort Homebrew Competition, Bloomington, Illinois. Co-brewed with Noah Wojdak.
- June 2015 - German Fest Stein Challenge, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Silver medal for "Bug Juice" Berliner Weisse and Silver for "Passionate Pucker" Berliner Weisse aged with Passion fruit in the German style fruited beers category. Berliner Weisse co-brewed with Noah Wojdak and Bob Kay.
- March 2015 - 2nd Place in the Fruit Meads Category for the "Grape Ape" Pyment in the 2015 NHC Chicago Region. Co-brewed with Noah Wojdak.
- March 2015 - Gold medal for "Apple Bomb" Cinnamon Cyser in Open Category Meads in the 2015 Drunk Monk Challenge Homebrew Competition. And,...3rd Place Best of Show for the "Apple Bomb" Cinnamon Cyser in the same competition.
- February 2015 - Bronze medal for "Centu-Rye" Roggenbier at Kona Brewer's Festival Homebrew Competition, Kona, Hawaii. Kilted Hop's 100th Batch of homebrewed beverages. Co-brewed with Noah Wojdak.
- February 2015 - Midwinter Hombrew Competition, Milwaukee, WI. Gold medal for the "Bug Juice" Berliner Weisse. This beer qualified to compete in the MCAB XVIII Competition finals for April 2016.
2014 – 10 wins
- October 2014 - Spooky Brew Homebrew Compettion, Chicago, IL. Bronze Medal for "Shirley This Must Be Wedding Beer And It Mike Be Good" Belgian Wit and a Bronze for the "Munich Monk" Robust Porter.
- September 2014 - Schooner Homebrew Championship, Racine, WI. Bronze medal for "Stan's Mandolin" Belgian Pale Ale co-brewed with Noah Wojdak.
- July 2014 - Merrimack Valley Homebrew Club Competition, Massachusetts. Silver medal for the "Pure HANK" Common Cider and a Bronze for the "Bug Juice" Berliner Weisse barrel project with Bob Kay.
- June 2014 - German Fest Stein Chalenge, Milwaukee, WI. A Bronze medal for the "Bug Juice" Berliner Weisse barrel project with Bob Kay.
- June 2014 - Bluegrass Cup, Lexington, Kentucky. Gold medal for the "Midnight Sun" Schwarzbier.
- April 2014 - National Homebrew Competition, First Round, Chicago Region. Silver medal for the "Black As Death, Sweet As Love" Milk Stout out of 64 Stouts.
- March 2014 - Charlie Orr Chicago Cup Challenge Competition, Southwest Chicago Suburbs, Illinois. Silver medal for the "Black As Death, Sweet As Love" Milk Stout and a Bronze medal for the "Pure HANK" common cider.
2013 – 5 wins
- December 2013 - Happy Holidays Hombrew Competition, St. Louis, Missouri. Bronze medal for the "Steam Punk" California Common.
- October 2013 - Spooky Brew, Chicago, Illinois. Bronze for "Viking's Tears" Metheglin (Spiced Mead).
- September 2013 - Dayton DRAFT, Dayton, Ohio. Honorable Mention for the "Fuzzy Nuts" Peach Golden Ale.
- August 2013 - For What It's Wort, Bloomington, Illinois. Silver medal for the "Steam Punk" California Common.
- March 2013 - Drunk Monk Challenge, Aurora, Illinois. Silver medal for the "Wacky Squirrel Cider".
2012 – 4 wins
- October 2012 - Hoppy Halloween Challenge, Fargo, North Dakota. Bronze medal for the "Underhill" Lemon Lager.
- September 2012 - Dayton DRAFT Homebrew Challenge, Dayton, Ohio. Gold medal for the "Amy Lou" Blonde Ale.
- September 2012 - Schooner Homebrew Competition, Racine, Wisconsin. Bronze Medal for the "Underhill" Lemon Lager.
- August 2012 - Milwaukee German Fest Stein Challenge, Bronze Medal for the "Summer BBQ" Kolsch.
2011 – 2 wins
- January 2011 - BABBLE Brew-Off 2011, Lincolnshire, Illinois. 1st Place – "For Bitter or For Worse" English Bitter (Designed and brewed by Woj - Extract)
- January 2011 - BABBLE Brew-Off 2011, Lincolnshire, Illinois. 3rd Place – "Double Diamond Dust" Eisbock (13.2% ABV) - Greg and Woj designed the base Extract Doppelbock recipe together and then Greg made an Oak-aged Doppelbock from his share and Woj made this Eisbock.
The Midwest Homebrewer of the Year competition selects the top homebrewer from the Midwest based upon points earned in participating competitions.
Brewing for Family and Friends
© Copyright Kilted Hop Brewing, Kevin P. Wojdak. All rights reserved.